Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Contrast of ages

So, this past summer God has really been laying it on my heart that He wanted me to work with the Jr. High kids at my chruch. I said "No prob! I'd love to!" Well, a few weeks ago Jr. High youth group started. And it's been interesting, to say the least. I LOVE the Jr. High kids like CRAZY, but that's exactly what they are...CRAZY. I never realized (forgive me, all you wonderful Jr. Highers) how crazy, hyper, nuts, and wacked-out those kids can be! And then it makes me think. "Was I like that in Jr. High? Was I really that crazy??" And the answer to that may never be known. At least not by me.

But now being a Junior in Highschool, it's amazing to look back and realize that my class was acting that same way when we were 8th graders. Seeing where we were then and where we are now is a HUGE difference! Well, ok, maybe not HUGE, persay, but maybe semi-huge. OK, I admit it! We're still the same immature kids in older bodies and the younger kids actually THINK we're cool!.....Wow, that felt good to get off my shoulders. :P

But seriously, it's been interesting working with the different age groups. On Tuesday nights, I'm paired up with an awesome adult leader and she and I lead a small group of 5-10 girls. Talking to those girls and hearing their hearts is really neat, and it's exciting to learn about the kind of things they're going through, and being able to offer up advice and help them through it!

Then, on Wednesday nights, I lead a girl's accountability group. We get together an hour before youth group and we sit and talk about our weeks, prayer needs, ask for help, totally open up to each other for support, and have fun fellowshiping together! It's been really neat to be a part of that see these girls (and me!) growing closer to each other and to God all at once.

But being involved in those two age groups (7th-8th graders vrs. 9th-12th graders) has really been exciting! I've been learning a LOT about the differences between the kids and how the different ages (not to mention personalities...that's an entirely different subject!) respond to things and deal with things in their lives. One of the main differences I've seen is Jr. Highers tend to be unsure of themselves and things, and they're openly searching for answers. Sr. Highers tend to "have it together" more, and so it's harder for them to open up or accept help and advice.

Anyways, that was just kinda pointless (I think) because I couldn't think about anyting better to say. I have to get going for now, though, because I have to put together a devotion for the Girl's Acc. Group tonight! :)

God bless, and I hope that you are able, somehow in your life, to overcome yet keep special portions of your Jr. High lifestyle! :D

In Him,

<>< Christi <><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home